Our CPL course will develop you into a confident, skilled and job-ready pilot.
Becoming a commercial pilot is a vital step in your aviation career
The Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) can open doors to many opportunities across aviation. It enables you to fly as the pilot in command of a single engine aircraft, or as the co-pilot of a multi-crew aircraft conducting commercial operations within Australia.
Already have an RPL or PPL?
How do I get my CPL?
- You must be at least 18 years old to get your CPL
- Hold a valid Class 1 medical certificate
- Pass a PPL theory exam and a PPL flight test
- Pass 7 x CPL theory exams and a CPL flight test
- Meet the minimum aeronautical experience requirements of 150 hours
Why do your flying training with us?
We pride ourselves on producing commercial pilots who are highly skilled, confident, safe and job-ready. We have a strong reputation in the industry with high quality flight instruction in an authentic commercial aviation organisation. We operate to high standards with well-equipped commercial aircraft. Read more about how the Par Avion difference can make a real difference to your training and career, and the many advantages of undertaking flying training in Tasmania.
On successful completion of the full course, students will attain:
- a Private Pilot Licence (PPL) issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA); and
- a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) issued by CASA.
About the flight training
The flight training is conducted in single-engine aircraft. There are two main phases:
- from commencement up to the PPL flight test, with approximately 60 hours of dual and solo flying to this point
- up to the CPL flight test, with a minimum 150 hours dual and solo flying to this point.
The course is a blend of theoretical, practical and self-guided learning, including:
- participating in flight training in aircraft and simulators (including some flying on weekends and at night)
- attending pre and post-flight briefings
- undertaking guided self-study and assessment preparation
- taking theory exams (see next section)
The course is primarily in-person (face-to-face) learning with an instructor. Our instructors take the time to understand the individual learning needs of students and assist with individualised instruction, support and flexibility to meet their learning needs and personal circumstances.
Much of the course content is available online and in printed study guides to support student self-study.
Theory training and exams
There are seven theory subjects to complete for the CPL, each based on topics already encountered during the PPL. The study for each subject is undertaken as self paced learning with learning support from our instructors.
A key difference between this course and our Diploma in Aviation – Commercial Pilot Licence is that it does not include timetabled theory classes. This course is best suited to students who:
- want to learn at a time and pace that best suits them
- are confident to study for theory exams in their own time and do not wish to attend theory classes
- wish to attain the CASA rating, but not a corresponding vocational education qualification.
This course is offered:
- as a full-time intensive over 38 weeks, with five days participation per week; or
- part time at a pace that suits your availability and budget.
The amount of training actually required can be influenced by a student’s existing skills and knowledge and the Chief Flying Instructor (or a delegated instructor) will provide appropriate information and study advice on an individual basis.
What is included
- Flight Training including up to 1:
- 119 Hours – Cessna 172
- 29 Hours – Cessna 206
- 5 Hours – Simulator
- Pre and post-flight briefings
- Landing fees
- Study materials and guides
- Pilot navigation equipment
- CASA license and testing fees1
TUITION FEES $59,500.00 1 (indicative)
This course does not attract GST.
OTHER EXTERNAL FEES approx. $2690.00 – covers charts and aeronautical documents, 1 x PPL theory exam, 7 x CPL theory exams, ASIC, aviation medical examination. (GST included where relevant)
- 2 x PPL navigation exercise to mainland approx. $250.00 (each)
- 1 x CPL navigation exercise to mainland approx. $500.00
- headset $360.00
- pilot uniform set $350.00
Take the next step
You can begin your application for this course today. It’s quick, easy and our online system will guide you through the steps.
If you’re not ready to apply yet, register your interest with us online. We’ll provide you with further information and updates on the course.
You’re also welcome to contact us – we are happy to answer your questions and provide further information about the Diploma and other training options.
Upon successful completion of the CPL course you will be looking to gain employment within the aviation sector. We can provide more advanced training to further your skills and employability, such as a Multi-Engine Aircraft Class Rating, an Instrument Rating (multi-engine or single-engine), or for those looking to pass their skills on to others – a Flight Instructor Rating.
Pilots with a CPL can apply for recognition of prior learning to extend their qualifications to the Diploma in Aviation – Commercial Pilot Licence . Some extra training and assessment may be required to attain the diploma through this pathway.
1 Indicative fees are based on average requirements for attainment. Where a student requires additional flying time, or more that one attempt at a theory test or flight test to achieve the required standard, additional fees will apply. Fees are subject to change.